Bianca Bass’s list of 52 writing prompts may be aimed at bloggers, but these prompts can serve equally well for generating story ideas or for fleshing out characters’ backstory, motivations and personality.
A few examples from the list:
- Write about the woman who has had the greatest impact on your life.
- Write about the first person that ever believed in you.
- Write an open letter to your future self.
- Write about your role in your family.
- Write a list of the things you love about yourself.
Here are a few of my own prompts:
- Write about the wrongest assumption you ever made.
- Write a list of reasons you love your best friend.
- Write your favorite joke from childhood, and all the memories associated with it.
The most powerful prompt, is, of course: Write.